Many of us think that having a good interactive website or blog is that required to get tons of websites but that is not exactly correct. Getting more people to your site takes a lot of hard work (at least some smart work :-) ). After six years in the web development and blogging, I found some of the answers and some short cuts to get it. It may help you, if you are very interested in attracting a lot of visitors to your blog or website. But why other people (whom you think got lot of visitors) not revealing to you, because you need to advertise about your blog or website. Here I have added some of the proven techniques used by most of the experienced persons in the industry without spending [much] money:
Submit your site to as many search engines as you can. Here are some of the popular ones you can start with:
- Use a favicon.ico (which shows your logo in the URL bar)
- If you have a Christian Website, be sure to submit it to all the Christian Directories. We have a list of about 50 of the most popular Christian Directories here.
- Have Dynamic content on your site - Message Board, Links Directory, Guest Book, Online Search, Picture Gallery, Quote of the day, News items, Site Search, Links Engine ... It all makes for a more enjoyable experience for your visitors ... and interested visitors come back.
- Make sure you don't have broken links on your site! There is nothing more annoying when one clicks a link and it does not work. There are hundreds of places you can go on the internet that will check your link validity. Use them.
- Make sure your META TAGS are done right.
- Submit your site to as many privately run Link Directories/Search Engines as you can find. These will not generally boost your traffic in any major way but will help to maintain steady stream of qualified visitors.
- Use Banners with care.
- Subscribe to the Usenet groups and advertise there. A good place to start is Google Groups
- Be sure to submit your site in appropriate groups!
- Be sure to signup with a backup email or you will get onto every spammers database!
- Be sure you don't SPAM -- only submit a write up of your site once to any given group.
- Use social networking sites like Twitter, facebook, YouTube, Plaxo, Linkedin and others to get the word out.